The village has Roman origins and, positioned on the obligatory crossing of the (then marshy) saddle shortly after the border between Italy and the Roman province of Noricum, constituted a customs and post station on the section of the Via Julia Augusta that connected Aquileia to Virunum included the statio Bilachinensis, Found in 1910 in Camporosso itself. Testifying to the Romanesque origins of the village are numerous archaeological finds housed largely at the permanent Antiquarium exhibition, from which it is clear that Camporosso was also the site of a mithraeum. From the 17th century onward, when the Roman Empire fell and the customs function was lost, Camporosso was inhabited by people of Slavic origin, and the area became the scene of several battles over the centuries,

In 1360 the Marian Sanctuary of Lussari was built.

Today Camporosso, located a few kilometers from Tarvisio, offers excellent tourist support thanks to its easy connections to the bike path and the Mount Lussari area.

Point of arrival

The Tarvisio tourist destination is located in Friuli Venezia Giulia, on the border with Austria and Slovenia

Plan your journey